The break room can change a Plymouth employee’s workplace experience. A well-designed break room that offers popular snacks, beverages, and fresh food is a place for relaxation, spontaneous interaction between colleagues, and creativity as well as a spot to grab a bite to eat or drink. Even though the impact of COVID-19 during the past several months has substantially decreased break room visits, micro-markets and vending machines still have an important role to play as employees return to work.
It’s clear that each Plymouth employer will approach reopening their place of business differently and on a timetable that fits their unique organization.
Promoting CDC recommended guidelines for “healthy hygiene practices such as hand washing and employees wearing a cloth face covering, as feasible” as well as encouraging social distancing or staying at least 6 feet away from other individuals and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily are just a few new behaviors employers will likely be recommending.
Break rooms with a micro-market or vending machines are also a tool that Plymouth employers can use to encourage social distancing and fewer person-to-person interactions among employees. For example,
- Both micro-markets and vending machines offer cashless or touchless payment options including mobile payments and are great for grab-and-go situations.
- To use a micro-market, employees will scan their snack or beverage; scan their smartphone or swipe a debit/card; and walk away.
- To use a vending machine, employees will touch the machine once; scan their smartphone or swipe a debit/card; and walk away.
- Both micro-markets and vending machines are open 24/7, keeping employees onsite during their workday.
- Staying on-site instead of going off-site for a bite to eat or beverage helps employees avoid external and less controllable environments.
Employers should also consider the types of snacks, beverages, and fresh food that will be offered. Eating healthy is more important than ever. Healthier ingredients like fruits and vegetables provide the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that the human body needs to support the immune system. Bottled water and other healthy beverages keep everything in the body hydrated and moving more efficiently.
But it is also wise to offer traditional options that are “fun” or provide a mental boost such as chocolate and other snacks. Most Plymouth employees have been under prolonged stress, and while eating healthy is important, a favorite snack or beverage can provide a bit of an emotional or mental pick-me-up. Offering a balance of traditional and healthy options will help employees find the products they need when they want them.
For more information about our safety practices or upgrading your refreshment menu or break room space to include a micro-market or vending machines, please contact Foley FoodService at 781.551.0711. We look forward to helping you bring your employees back to work.